Saturday, July 08, 2006

Thoughts on Christ's church

On a more serious note, last Sunday John went before the church with something he's been struggling with for a long time. It was a difficult thing to do and I'm so proud of him for having that courage. I was also awed and humbled by the outpouring of love from the congregation. When John went forward and after the service, he was surrounded by people offering encouragement and support. Not the judgement he feared. This was even more impressive due to the fact that since John & I are gone so much, we haven't done the best job of getting to know people and making a place for ourselves in the church. Not only did these people offer John support that day but since then, he's called on some of them and they have dropped whatever they were doing to help him. What a beautiful expression of Christ's love!

This is what the church was meant for - not just teaching or good works - but to spread the word and help our brothers & sisters in Christ when they're struggling. I think we all fall into the judgement trap sometimes, the world certainly pushes us to judge & judge quickly. We all have our failings, our fears. How many times have I sat in the pew when someone went forward, letting my doubts overcome me. "I don't know them - how would they feel if a stranger came to them?" "I don't know what to do or say to them" The church shouldn't be a place where we're scared to go forward with our problems and sins, and shouldn't be a place where we let doubt stop us from showing love.

"Finally, be ye of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethern, be pitiful, be courteous.." 1st Peter 3:8

John and I are so thankful for the Christian love that people have shown us, without judgement, without reservation. I hope & pray that we can use our struggle today to help others as well in the future.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

AMEN!!! So glad you have been shown Christ's love in this way. That's DEFINITELY how it's supposed to be. Praying for you guys...

LisaN said...

What an encouraging post! Thank you so much for sharing this experience, and I praise God that His body did reflect His love in this awesome way!